SwordSearcher on Linux

VB, It did not like my install disc for W10 so I'm trying the iso as I deleted it after I burned my disk.

Win10 was free on my W7 laptop as an upgrade, don't know if I ever got a license for it, I guess the 7 will do. And W10, it's on my HP Pavilion, and I got no disc with it or decal on the laptop to give a license number.

And do you mean the green arrow that is the Start arrow pointing to the right???

Last edited:
There is a green start arrow to start the machine. Then there is a folder with a green upward pointing arrow to locate the iso file on the hard drive or USB:
upload_2016-5-22_16-29-28.png

It's default to looking for a VDI file, and of course it's an ISO file..... this is way to. much geek for an old guy.

Gave up, Linux is just not ready for prime time. I am too old and impatient to learn it. W10 back on the old laptop, thanks for trying to help Bill.

Gave up, Linux is just not ready for prime time. I am too old and impatient to learn it. W10 back on the old laptop, thanks for trying to help Bill.

I remember back in 1999 through about 2002 I kept a Linux machine running because I assumed that since Linux was free, it would eventually compete with Windows in the user desktop OS space. Turns out that there is a lot more to it than mere price. :) It is a good operating system but the desktop app side of it is for extreme tech enthusiasts, while the real use of it is on servers all over the internet and used by people paid to run it for a living.

Not being a quitter, I went to my old friend Bill Reynold's distro....PCLinuxOS and voila I have W10 installed in the VM Virtual Box. I am waiting now for One Drive to populate so I can install SS. That will have to wait until tomorrow, my 18hrs are up time for nite nite.

OK, so here is what I settled on as the very best, just like windows experience on Linux in terms of using SwordSearcher.
Mint 17.3, Crossover 15.1.0. This configuration on my Toshiba satellite 650 laptop just works better than VM or wine. I was able to link the modules to my One Drive, so whatever computer I use, they are alway in sync. The good thing is I was able to use the trial version of crossover to ensure the functionality before making the purchase. It may not be for everyone, but two things I like are Linux and SwordSearcher, and this is the first time since SS5 that I have been able to have both. :)

Glad it's working well. I like Linux Mint also. I use the Mate desktop but Cinnamon is nice too. Until you have to use the terminal window it's very much like Windows.

I have SS installed on Manjaro Linux. I have fixed the font rendering since this screen shot.

Attachments

• ScreenSS.png
    ScreenSS.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 467
The Manjaro XFCE desktop running SS in Crossover.

Attachments

• SS.png
    SS.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 479
Wow, looks like there are no rendering problems at all, from the screen shot!

EDIT: Actually, looks like one of the verse widgets isn't rendering. Could be a missing font. I don't know how you add fonts for WINE, but verse widgets use Webdings and Wingdings fonts.

I added the MS TT fonts to both linux and Crossover, so I played with the RBG rendering a bit and font selection and size and I am still trying to tweak it to the way it should be.

The use of crossover in linux does not allow for mic to play the audio files. I won't be using it for testing.

Back