Atlas

wsbones

Beta Tester
I created a SSbook with entries of all the locations in the Bible. I created the list from an XML file available at this location. You may want to link to this site itself for researching Bible locations:

http://www.openbible.info/geo/

I would like to turn this SSbook into an actual atlas with descriptions and linked maps at some point. The first entry has a link to an atlas program that I own that came with Quickverse 4.0 called PC Bible Atlas. This has been a useful program to me since Windows 95 days. If you own it, you can modify the link to point to your copy or some other atlas program using the HTML editor.

Here's a link to the SSbook. http://wsbones.googlepages.com/Atlas.ss5book

I made some changes to this prototype atlas. I added 1000 images files (8mb) from the openBible.info site. The images are from Google Earth. A few are not too useful because they lack context but many of them show a coast line of the Sea of Galilee or the Dead Sea for reference in locating a place. You can get the ssbook and atlas.exe (self extracting zip file) here.

http://wsbones.googlepages.com/home (It's the last entry on the page and has 2 links)

Put the ssbook into My Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\ and let the atlas.exe extract to it's default location. All the jpg files should end up in C:\Program Files\SwordSearcher 5\Images\atlas\

This is a work in progress. I find it useful plus I am learning a lot about the Bible and also SwordSearcher and HTML.

I have updated the atlas.ss5book and atlas.exe resources. Download both files. The atlas.exe will extract maps to c:\program files\swordsearcher 5\images\atlas where they will be referenced by the atlas.ss5book. Put atlas.ss5book in \My Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules

Get the files here http://wsbones.googlepages.com/home at the bottom of the webpage.

I spellchecked all the map names for the KJV and created new small maps for each entry (about 900 maps) to give some context to each location. I also combined several entries with different names referring to the same lcoation.

Double-clicking on a geographic location in the Bible, book, or commentary should bring up a reference to Atlas in the Topic and Verse Guide if you set up your preferences that way. You could also set up your preferences to open the atlas directly if you want to test it out.

I find this useful. Maybe you will too. Feel free to add your own maps since I made it user editable. The real value is having every location (hopefully every) in the Bible indexed to a map.

Most of the location names and lat/long data came from available files on this website. Scroll down to the "About" section near the bottom of the page.

http://www.openbible.info/geo/

Bill, thanks so much for making this available to other SwordSearcher users!

Thank you, Bill!

I must be dense, the file did not download right or something because I can't get it to un-zip.

This file-- Atlas, inc.Testimony both have the appearance of a Zip file "but" in a blue box and neither will open or un-zip.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Terrpn

I must be dense, the file did not download right or something because I can't get it to un-zip.

This file-- Atlas, inc.Testimony both have the appearance of a Zip file "but" in a blue box and neither will open or un-zip.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Terrpn

I am not sure what you mean by Atlas, inc. Testimony. You need to download 2 files to make the atlas work.
1. Atlas.ss5book
2. Atlas.exe

Atlas.exe is a self-extracting zip file. Once you download it to some location like your desktop, double click on it. It should extract all the map files to the correct location. Then put Atlas.ss5book into the Swordsearcer5 user location in My Documents. The next time you start Swordsearcher, you should see the Atlas tab under books.

What I meant in regards to Testimony is that it is the same type Zip-Exe. file as Atlas and I get the same error when trying to open.

Downloaded both files as noted.......... but when trying to open the Atlas.exe I keep getting--- zip file is truncated, damaged...., etc. Maybe trying to re-download will correct?

I am not sure what you mean by Atlas, inc. Testimony. You need to download 2 files to make the atlas work.
1. Atlas.ss5book
2. Atlas.exe

Atlas.exe is a self-extracting zip file. Once you download it to some location like your desktop, double click on it. It should extract all the map files to the correct location. Then put Atlas.ss5book into the Swordsearcer5 user location in My Documents. The next time you start Swordsearcher, you should see the Atlas tab under books.

What I meant in regards to Testimony is that it is the same type Zip-Exe. file as Atlas and I get the same error when trying to open.

Downloaded both files as noted.......... but when trying to open the Atlas.exe I keep getting--- zip file is truncated, damaged...., etc. Maybe trying to re-download will correct?

Could your virus protection be causing this? I'll post a zip file instead of a self extracting exe. Maybe that will help.

Try this one: http://wsbones.googlepages.com/atlas.zip (just make sure the files end up in c:\program files\swordsearcher 5\images\atlas\)

Terrpn
Its Not Just You, I Also Get Zip Files Corrupted. I Tried Many Times But Got The Same. However Im Goint To Try The Above And See Again.

Terrpn
Its Not Just You, I Also Get Zip Files Corrupted. I Tried Many Times But Got The Same. However Im Goint To Try The Above And See Again.

I know the files are OK. I just downloaded them (all three) and installed them. Perhaps you could disable your antivirus for a short time while you download them and then reenable. There may also be a setting in your browser that is preventing them from downloading. Check your security settings. I downloaded them with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11IC. The security setting was "medium high"

If you still can't get the files, send me a private message on this bulletin board (top right corner) with you email address and I'll email the files to you.

Just so you know, Bill, the files downloaded fine for me and work as advertised. (Thank you!)

Sometimes files just get corrupted going across the wires - especially with dial-up connections. Sometimes if a connection gets interupted, the computer will try to pick up where it left off and that will cause a corruption. You need to delete the first file to force it to get the whole file at once. Keep trying!

Just so you know, Bill, the files downloaded fine for me and work as advertised. (Thank you!)

Sometimes files just get corrupted going across the wires - especially with dial-up connections. Sometimes if a connection gets interupted, the computer will try to pick up where it left off and that will cause a corruption. You need to delete the first file to force it to get the whole file at once. Keep trying!

Ah! Thanks

Hi Bill,

I downloaded and ran the unzip and it installed okay. I only had to change the pathdrive letter. However, when I double click on a place I get an exclamation mark and some co-ordinates it looks like. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Ruthlyn

Hi Bill,

I downloaded and ran the unzip and it installed okay. I only had to change the pathdrive letter. However, when I double click on a place I get an exclamation mark and some co-ordinates it looks like. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Ruthlyn

It should display a map. The ! means that the ssbook is not finding the map file. If you feel comfortable with HTML, open the book page in the editor and check the name of the map in the link and also the location. Then look on your hard drive at that location and see if the file exists. Probably a drive letter in the link is incorrect.

Is your Swordsearcher 5 installed in c:\program files\swordsearcher 5\ ? If so look in the images directory and see if a subdirectory called atlas exists. That's where the map files should be.

If your installation is on D drive, you will have to export the atlas user book and globally change all the C:\ to D:\ and then run it through Forge to recompile it so it knows where the maps are.

If you don't feel comfortable with this, tell me where your SS program is installed and I fix it for you.

If your installation is on D drive, you will have to export the atlas user book and globally change all the C:\ to D:\ and then run it through Forge to recompile it so it knows where the maps are.

Thanks, this worked and now I am seeing the maps when I double click. Way cool.

Ruthlyn

Sorry just now getting back............ Church, Nursing Home Ministry, etc.

A straight up Zip File would be great........... and I appreciate your extra effort and time.

I'm somewhat 'puter savy and it just strikes me strange that my desktop/XP Pro-- and laptop/Vista Home Premium-- both react the same when trying to install...?

Thanks!!
Terrpn
(Wes)

Could your virus protection be causing this? I'll post a zip file instead of a self extracting exe. Maybe that will help.

Try this one: http://wsbones.googlepages.com/atlas.zip (just make sure the files end up in c:\program files\swordsearcher 5\images\atlas\)

I added 6 more maps and updated some links in Atlas.ss5book. You should only need these 2 files:
http://wsbones.googlepages.com/Atlas.ss5book 344kb
http://wsbones.googlepages.com/6MoreMaps.zip 36kb

Make sure you unzip the maps to the \program files\swordsearcher 5\images\atlas directory\.

I added individual links in the atlas where an entry had multiple locations. That way if you double click on a location in the Bible it will find an entry in the atlas which points to the right map.

For example, the atlas contains an entry for Ulai - Shushan - Susa. Now it also contains individual entries for Shushan and Susa. So, when you 2click on Shushan in the Bible, it brings up an entry for Shushan with a link to Ulai - Shushan - Susa. If you had the atlas as the default book and 2clicked on Shushan previously, it would not have found the entry, but if you had the Topic and Verse Guide as the default 2click action, it would have found the entry for Ulai - Shushan - Susa.

I hope I explained that OK. You don't really have to do anything if you like the way it's working now. :)

That directory should be:

Make sure you unzip the maps to the \program files\swordsearcher 5\images\atlas\

I really like this Atlas! I haven't downloaded the new one with better name linking, but I have to say it's neat to be able to see a geographical location so quickly when you're reading. Thanks!

Back