Foreign language Bibles/books?

In Japan all Bibles are from the Westcott and Hort influence. Does anyone know anything of a Textus Receptus or Majority Text translation? I'd sure like to purchase and teach from this version.
Hello, Bill.

I was surfing and found your post, so I joined the forum. I'm the John Himes mentioned here, and have been a missionary to Japan since 1981. (Sorry, but the e-mail address on the wayoflife website is quite old.)

I've been working with a Japanese partner for a number of years on a TR-based Japanese NT, and have finished first drafts of all the books except Luke (currently translating) and Mark. We have done second drafts of Matthew, John, Romans and almost all of Revelation, and hope to print up the Gospel of John soon, God willing.

Please PM me for more information.

In Christ,

John R. Himes

Hello, Brandon,

Is it possible to insert some character on a new line in a user-made Bible module so I can put notes in to myself that get ignored by Forge/SS? I want to put in the names of the books of the Bible so I can easily search to that place in my txt file when I come back to do more on that particular book. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Eric, could you just enter a particular word or symbol to search for that would bring up your place?

If I understand correctly, you're looking for comment lines. Forge doesn't support that at this time; sorry.

Brandon

Would this be a hard thing to implement?

Just use the standard HTML comment <!-- TEXT --> in the .txt file and just having Forge ignore it during a compile.

It could be a very handy feature. I personally like to comment my source files.

The problem now is that a SS search ignores the comment line <!-- comment -->. However, a search in a .txt document would bring up the comment - it might be that Brandon could add a "Find" in the Edit menu, in the Edit window... What do you think, Brandon?

Ah ha

That is what I thought he was looking for as he references his .txt file and going back to the .txt file to edit it, not the compiled module.

As I found out in testing, I can put an HTML comment in the source file, at least in the limited time I had to try it out this morning. Did not see it mentioned in the documentation, so I never tried that before. Like it, now that I know about it :)

Ah ha

That is what I thought he was looking for as he references his .txt file and going back to the .txt file to edit it, not the compiled module.

As I found out in testing, I can put an HTML comment in the source file, at least in the limited time I had to try it out this morning. Did not see it mentioned in the documentation, so I never tried that before. Like it, now that I know about it :)

Now that I read the original post again, I see that you're right, Mike, and the <!-- comment --> tags would work just fine in the source text file and there wouldn't be any need to fuss with SS edit commands.

I think we've messed up this thread... :shock: Maybe Brandon will untangle it. Sorry guys!

I'm just a bit confused over the thread. :???: But, I've added comment lines to the to-do list for Forge support.

It looks like we deviated from the original topic at post #18, but John Himes replied to the original with post #21. Anyway, it's all interesting! :shock:

Hello, Bill.

I was surfing and found your post, so I joined the forum. I'm the John Himes mentioned here, and have been a missionary to Japan since 1981. (Sorry, but the e-mail address on the wayoflife website is quite old.)

I've been working with a Japanese partner for a number of years on a TR-based Japanese NT, and have finished first drafts of all the books except Luke (currently translating) and Mark. We have done second drafts of Matthew, John, Romans and almost all of Revelation, and hope to print up the Gospel of John soon, God willing.

Please PM me for more information.

In Christ,

John R. Himes

I praise the Lord for this! I attended seminary with a Japanese national who is now pastoring in Japan. I'm sure he would be interested to know of your work, if he is not familiar with it already.

How might I help in learn more about you?

Blessings!

I praise the Lord for this! I attended seminary with a Japanese national who is now pastoring in Japan. I'm sure he would be interested to know of your work, if he is not familiar with it already.

How might I help in learn more about you?

Blessings!
Please check out our website at www.johnofjapan.org. There is a function there that lets you e-mail me through the website. I'll then write you back from our regular e-mail address.

Depending on who your seminary friend is, chances are I know him, having been here 26 years. Drop me his name when you e-mail, please.

God bless.

John

Please check out our website at www.johnofjapan.org. There is a function there that lets you e-mail me through the website. I'll then write you back from our regular e-mail address.

Depending on who your seminary friend is, chances are I know him, having been here 26 years. Drop me his name when you e-mail, please.

God bless.

John

Amen, thanks.

Hi John - that is really great news. Hope we can get together and discuss. I sent you an email on your webpage. See you around!

brother Bill

Does anyone know if there is a good Russian language Bible module for SwordSearcher? Will the Cyrillic alphabet work in SS? (Maybe just the regional settings for non-Unicode programs would have to be changed to Russian.)

God bless.

John

John, I have responded to your email via your web site. Did you get my message?

Hi! I?m a new member on this forum. I?m from Finland and I would like to ask that would it be possible to have Finnish Biblia (based on TR and Masoretic) in SS? I would use Forge but I humbly confess that my skills in HTML are below even rudest basics. I have the text in E-Sword but SS is more comfortable to use in many ways. Any advice or help? Thank you.

Welcome, Rami, to the forum!

I hope you can get a TR/MT Finnish Bible formatted for Swordsearcher! I hope they're not copyrighted. You don't need to know any HTML to use Forge, but you have to have a .txt file that is formatted properly (see the Help in Forge). I think it's probably best to see if any "power users" here on the forum offer to help you, and if they don't, get in touch with Brandon directly. He can do the work quickly and though you'll need to pay him for his time, you'll find it's well worth it. He helped me format some non-English Bibles for SS5. I use them all the time.

I dream of setting up a website with European TR/MT Bible translations, so if you'd like to share the data file and the SS module when you get it done, I'd love to have a copy. At this point I'm just trying to collect the data for the future.

One issue that may come up is versification. I had to do lots of manual work to the data files to get the verses divided at the same places the KJV/AV does, but Brandon was able to tell me what verses seemed to be left out or put in the wrong place as he was formatting the data (he compares it with the KJV/AV). I still find a few phrases that need to be moved to the next or previous verse. I've created a user "commentary" module in SS5 in which I list typos and versification problems for my non-English Bible module, and then when I have time I do all the changes at once to the txt file used in Forge and re-run Forge, and I've got it corrected.

Please write to me off-forum if I can be of any help, but I can't actually do the formatting of the data. I think you can do that by sending a "private message" to me through the forum (if that capability is still available).

Hi! I?m a new member on this forum. I?m from Finland and I would like to ask that would it be possible to have Finnish Biblia (based on TR and Masoretic) in SS? I would use Forge but I humbly confess that my skills in HTML are below even rudest basics. I have the text in E-Sword but SS is more comfortable to use in many ways. Any advice or help? Thank you.

Do you have a raw text file of the Bible? If so, could you e-mail it to me?

Brother Mike, I have it as a pdf -file, or I can try work that on another filemode. Would rtf work?

Brother Eric, thank you for encouragement. I will send you the module as soon as I have it. Yes, the verses don?t go in Biblia the same way they go in KJV. I think the reason is that Finnish translators followed Luther?s bible in that issue.

Hi Rami

Yes, an rtef format file would work, we can convert it to text easily from that, I think. As Eric said, you do not need to know HTML for format for forge. I will be willing to mentor and help with the work, and hopefully teach you to do it as well (and probably learn something myself).

The versification will be an issue, I believe, in how it will interact with the other resources in SS5. Brandon could probably give more details on that (hint hint) and then perhaps you can copy and paste things around to reflect KJV versification. I am afraid that I won't be of any help in most of that (I don't speak finish :) )

Bro. Mike

Back