No BDB or Thayers?

Really, I agree with all of you 😉!

I humbly wish to share an experience pertaining to 'Original Languages.'

While I was attending a Memorial Service at a Nursing Home in Elsberry, Missouri for the family of Residents there who had passed away, the facility had a Chaplain come to conduct the service. He was young and it seemed that maybe he wasn't used to ministering personally, one on one. He read his notes and mentioned 2 or 3 different HEBREW Words for the English ones and even attempted to pronounce them.

Honestly, all I'm saying is that when the Hebrew words were given and supposedly explained, the family members just looked bored and indifferent to this attempt of 'unlocking' original languages. It didn't help them. It didn't comfort them. At least, not that I could observe.

It just struck me odd that so many good, decent and gifted ministers wear themselves out unnecessarily dealing with a foreign tongue instead of our native one. I'm not condemning the ministers who do. I just want to let people know that I'm a simpleton and a country boy and I'm not interested in nothing but The Word KJV in English.

Hope this helps another simpleton who may be pressured or inticed to 'get to the original languages.'

God bless.
The KJV and Webster's 1828 is all one needs for thorough and rewarding bible study. :)

This is how I see the value of looking at the Original Languages - no pressure implied. I totally agree that a Memorial Service isn't the place to conduct an in-depth word study, however, I worked on an old, old dictionary once and was amazed at how the language has changed over the years. Some words now mean the exact opposite of what they did originally, and that's where digging into the original languages is helpful. If I find a passage of scripture very confusing, looking at it with the Hebrew or Greek definitions can be enlightening - and sometimes surprising! :)

Well, I have finished the work. Yesterday I worked hard to try to get the font size, etc. all equal. I tried rebuilding the module, but whether the file is too big for that or not, I do not know, but everytime I have tried it, it did not work. I have a sneaky feeling that it also would remove links as well as Forge did. I did export it and ran it through Forge. It looked a lot better after that, but all the links were removed - so I am not very happy about that.

If anyone wants this work now and wants to work on it themselves, just let me know. In the meantime I will just keep plugging along and trying to get it shipshape, but everytime I look there is something else that needs correcting. The style and format cleaner is great, but it is slow, especially when you have 5624 entries to check into. :( My email is rrhodes773@comcast.net

Hi, Regie,
I got them (two modules of Thayer's for the NT)! Thank you!

You wrote this:

I will send you also the copy that I ran through Forge. It looks better, but Forge removed the links I had. I did not like that, so I am still working to get the one I am attaching now in good condition. However, at nearly 80 years old, I think I will be a real old man before I get it like I want it.

The entries will be out of order in this, since I coded it to Strongs. Whereas Strongs will have a number like 12, immediately preceded by 11, in this you will find the sequence like 11, 110, 1100 through 1199, and then 12. I think I got that right anyway.

If you try it and have any trouble, please let me know - especially if you check an entry and check Strongs while in it, and you cannot get back to the Thayers number when you get through with the Strongs number.

I put them both in SS, and just opened them up. I didn't really try to use them yet (sorry). But it wasn't exactly clear to me at the beginning what the differences btw the two versions is (one apparently made via Forge, and the other apparently made just in the module editor). How did you want the links to work? Links to verses seem to work in both of them just the same, but I don't see any other links.

And I don't understand what you're saying about 11, 110, 1100 – oh! I see now: all the entries are there, it's just they aren't sorted as we humans would think they should be.

My question is this: how to use it with, say the SS Strong's dictionaries, or when one has KJVSL open? I guess one has to manually find the same code as the Strong's dictionary has and trace it down in the Thayer's, right?

Seems to me it'd be great if Brandon would make it into an integrated module, so everything would link and work. Maybe that's more work than he wants to undertake, or just not something he sees much benefit from. But, I would find it useful.

Eric

Hi, Regie,

You wrote this:

I put them both in SS, and just opened them up. I didn't really try to use them yet (sorry). But it wasn't exactly clear to me at the beginning what the differences btw the two versions is (one apparently made via Forge, and the other apparently made just in the module editor). How did you want the links to work? Links to verses seem to work in both of them just the same, but I don't see any other links.

And I don't understand what you're saying about 11, 110, 1100 – oh! I see now: all the entries are there, it's just they aren't sorted as we humans would think they should be.

My question is this: how to use it with, say the SS Strong's dictionaries, or when one has KJVSL open? I guess one has to manually find the same code as the Strong's dictionary has and trace it down in the Thayer's, right?

Seems to me it'd be great if Brandon would make it into an integrated module, so everything would link and work. Maybe that's more work than he wants to undertake, or just not something he sees much benefit from. But, I would find it useful.

Eric
Hi, Regie,

You wrote this:

Eric
What I sent to you is not yet entirely as I would like it to be. Notice that much of the Hebrew words are huge - much too big and it makes the text very uneven and rugged looking. So, I ran it into Forge and got all that straightened out. However, Forge did not leave links intact, which I did not like as it took a lot of work to get them there in the first place. When I tried the tool to rebuild the whole module, it would not do it and I tried that many times. I figure it would have removed the links also. So, the only option I have at this point is to go through the whole thing and do an edit, format, style and format cleaner. That leaves the links intact and makes the entry with even, uniform text (what a great tool Brandon has in SwordSearcher!) and it straightens out left margins. I will try to further explain how to use it in another follow-up message. Right now I am a little pushed for time, but will try to get to it asap.

I will try to further explain how to use it in another follow-up message. Right now I am a little pushed for time, but will try to get to it asap.
I copied all the separate entry titles from Strongs. If I had used only the Strongs numbers without the complete title, it would not have been as useful. I put an S in front of Thayers, so it would be located close to the Strongs work. So, now if you are looking at a Strongs entry, the SThayerLe tab should be showing lit it and you can find that same titled entry in SThayerLe. Now, if you switch to SThayeLe, the only way I have found to go back to that same entry in Strongs, is to click the back tab. If you go to 4 more entries while in SThayerLe, you may have to click that back tab several times and if all else fails, you can click and highlight the white area on that bottom tab (I don't know how to well describe these areas in SwordSearcher)(maybe Brandon can fill in the goofy areas of this simpletons message & help us out if he has time and wants to fool with it). and once that white area is completely filled, type in the Strongs number that you want to go to. If I had numbered the SThayerLe so all Thayers entries would have been in entire sequence as in Strongs, I would have had to make entries such as 0001 or 0010 or 0100, etc. but then they would not have matched the Strongs numbers on entries smaller than Strongs #1000. I hope some or all of this makes sense - if not ask me again, perhaps by email, unless some others want to give the module a try. Maybe when I get it all spruced up about half way right, I may just upload it to the proper place on SwordSearchers module area. OH - one more thing: when I started on this Lexicon work of Thayers, I did some entries from the abridged work. Later I decided to do the unabridged work completely. As a result, some of the entries may have the abridged entry first - ones that I thought had some useful information. Later I came back and added the unabridged entries and left some or all of the abridged entry on the top part of the entry in SwordSearcher.
MGB.

Last edited:
Back