Video Open a clone Bible panel for a verse with just one click

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
The Layout Customization Video shows how to use Clone Panels. This video shows an easy way to instantly create a Bible clone panel from a verse link so you don't have to move the active verse in the Bible panel.

Can also be viewed here.

I use a lot of the SS features, BUT, I am going over the videos again, randomly and it is nice to find out that I don't know everything...:rolleyes:
I watched them videos at least once, some twice, some more. And I "RE-learn" again some of the stuff that I had forgotten, every time that I return to these videos... this is GREAT to have all access 24/7.
Thanks much...:D

This is really cool. Let's just say I had many strategies devised (which did not always work coz they depended on my memory :oops:) to keep a current Bible study place open... but this solves that problem :). Thanks Brandon!

If the verse links option is set to multiple, it disables the clone panel for study click and produces a verse list instead. The study click feature still works for the Bible window. I can't decide which way is best. They are both good :)

upload_2016-3-5_7-51-53.png

If only I could just "study click options" my own brain NOT to forget all them features....:confused::Dloll

I use this feature a lot if I want to save my place and check out another verse (or book/commentary link).

It would be handy to be able to open a clone panel of another verse without changing the Bible panel. Could there be an input box where a verse could be entered and immediately become a link that could be ctrl-clicked to open a clone panel. I tried this in the Scan tool but it open a verse list.

Or, could this work? I think I asked about this before and there may be a technical reason why it wouldn't work.
1544193598348.png

You can actually do it from the Scan tool if you change the settings so that opening a verse uses the Bible panel (the default setting) instead of a verse list. If you're holding down CTRL while you click the verse link (or from the popup menu if there is more than one reference) it will open a clone panel.

You can also open clone Bible panels from verse links in commentaries and books as long as you're using the default verse hyperlinking style (prefs, Verse Links, Individual/recommended setting).

As for opening one from the main search bar, I have that as a feature request on the to-do list.

Another tip -- if you hold down CTRL and hover over the verse tags in the Bible panel, they will become links that open clone panels. Well, that's the tip in the video. :)

The Layout Customization Video shows how to use Clone Panels. This video shows an easy way to instantly create a Bible clone panel from a verse link so you don't have to move the active verse in the Bible panel.
It would be very helpful if cloned panels could be minimized, or configured to not always be on top, to temporarily prevent them from blocking the main SS interface. The video points out that you can move it to another monitor but if you don't have two monitors you have to keep moving the clone around to get it out of your way or you have to resize SS to make room for the cloned panel.

If only I could just "study click options" my own brain NOT to forget all them features....:confused::Dloll
That's the beauty and the challenge of SS being so rich with features. It's a fantastic program but, like you, I have to keep re-educating myself on some aspects... not because SS is too difficult to configure and use but rather, because my mind just doesn't remember things as well as it use to. :)

It would be very helpful if cloned panels could be minimized, or configured to not always be on top, to temporarily prevent them from blocking the main SS interface. The video points out that you can move it to another monitor but if you don't have two monitors you have to keep moving the clone around to get it out of your way or you have to resize SS to make room for the cloned panel.
Brandon, I don't mean to be a pest but is it possible that we might be able to minimize clone panels or configure them so they won't always be on top of the main window in future versions?

Thank you.

Brandon, I don't mean to be a pest but is it possible that we might be able to minimize clone panels or configure them so they won't always be on top of the main window in future versions?

The docking code library doesn't support this, so it's not something I would expect to add any time soon, sorry.

The docking code library doesn't support this..
Is there a dock/undock toggle or keyboard shortcut someplace I missed?
[Guessing same idea different terms, but not available, and just a redundant question. sorry but if I have to search again later for the answer again (cellphone radiation proven to cause brain cancer :confused: and rots memory for sure) I might use that term.]

Alternate idea I've tried or use.

On a single screen system I set up Sword Searcher "View" to "SwordSearcher Classic" and "Enable Layout Customization".
Under File>Preferences and Settings>Layout Options... I verify the "Enable Layout Customization" is checked and place a check in "Automatically dock cloned panels".

This sends all your clones to the top left box.
Since more is better...
I shrink the SwordSearcher Window with the Windows key and left arrow button on the keyboard. which sets it to half my screen on the left.

Then I clone a verse reference and drag the docked result out of the top left corner, to the right side of my screen.
I double click a word in a book to open my Topic and Verse Guide and move that window to the right side of my screen below the undocked cloned panel. Adjust the sizes of those two floating windows to match in width and height about.
Then drag the side of my main SwordSearcher window that was at 1/2 my screen size on the left-- over to the right to take up about 2/3's or more so that it fills up the space and touches the 2 floating windows.

All further clones will still auto dock, and I drag them out when needed and over to the right side of my screen and dock them to that undocked clone panel and create a group of clones there too. :cool: OF course you can maximize any of those panels with the button on the top right of each panel {if you just gotta see more of what's in any of the smaller panels} except the "Topic and Verse Guide"..... and even still create new clones from your maximized window and they will be found in the top left panel of the main window (under you current maxed panel) once you restore your current panel again, and you can drag any newly made clones to the "floating clone dock" on the right if needed...

Then I make a Word Tree and expand the tool size as large as needed and then minimize ("-" button in top right corner of it) the tool so it stays open but hidden. When you send a phrase to the tool it will auto pop up a the size you set and minimized each time to the same place. Now you can click this tools icon on the SS toolbars when you need to "bounce" it back up for review, without closing it. (alternately you can find the minimized window in your system taskbar stack if you use those)

Its really a lot easier than I make it sound; once you use it you'll see and maybe even figure out something you like even better. The point is... SwordSearcher has a ton of options to allow you to get a layout that works for you the way you work. But (for me) set up like this... everything "stays put" where you expect to see it each time and reduces the "surprise hide" effect. o_O

My screen shot...
classicclones2.png
classicclones2.png

Last edited:
Is there a dock/undock toggle or keyboard shortcut someplace I missed?

No, there is no keyboard shortcut for docking or undocking windows in SwordSearcher.

No, there is no keyboard shortcut for docking or undocking windows in SwordSearcher.
Thank you, it probably doesn't really need one.
You can just double click the header (or tab on the bottom of the panel) of some/most/all items docked in that docked panel. Like a Word Tree result sent to a verse list, or a Cloned panel, Search Result … can be double clicked to pop it out of the dock, and then double clicked to pop it back in where it was docked... even if you change the floating window size or whatever, it will go right back to the upper left docked window as described above. :) Auto docking like this, gives you a same size window that doesn't cover anything and easy to pop out and back in.

This same trick works for Books Dictionary Commentary and so on. Double click the header... it pops out. Resize the pop out or even move it to the other side of the screen. So the other docked panels in that section will expand and you can see both in larger scale at the same time. Then.. just double click your new floater and it will dock back where it was, and when if you wanna pop it back out, go for it -it will pop out at the size/location you selected last time.

Just trying to explain in words what a video would make clear. Sorry I don't have that ability at the present.

Last edited:
Back