Logos 8 v. SwordSearcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart

I have used the work flow feature in Logos8 and found it very useful. Logos8 is over priced and a portal for be sold much more than I will ever want. However, the Workflow feature would make SwordSearcher perfect.

I have never used it. I'd love to read a detailed feature request.

The above link will take you to the Logos8 Workflow tool.

Sounds like what I had in Seminary - homiletics and hermenutics. :)

Did you find it useful? I am at present doing a read though the bible - one hour a day. Also I am studying the Book of Galatians but on this I am doing Chapter by Chapter, verse by verse, to get a real understanding of the Book. I am using Peter S. Ruckman. Logos8 seems good, but (1) they are always trying to sell the next thing (whatever), also Logos8 does not have a 1611 KJV (it uses a 1900?),and my computer is not powerful enough to use Logos8. Also to get a decent Logos8 system I would have to spend £300+ which is too much. What does homiletics and hermenutics mean? and could I do it at home. I can't think of a decent bible school in London,UK. God bless.

Here is a basic work flow from Logos 8 as I have the Baptist Gold. I Still prefer my SS for simplicity. You could just work through this on paper. Also, I am not into reading other translations. I just posted the work flow they give.

Blessings
Christopher

1591412927903.png

I appreciate the suggestion and information. It seems like SwordSearcher already offers the ability to perform these tasks, but doesn't have a checkbox/template system for the list. Personally, I would probably just create a user book module and copy in the list and fill in the items as I worked through them. Then I'd have a permanent record of the study. The editor window could easily be left open while the study is performed in SwordSearcher.

Here is a basic work flow from Logos 8 as I have the Baptist Gold. I Still prefer my SS for simplicity. You could just work through this on paper. Also, I am not into reading other translations. I just posted the work flow they give.

Blessings
Christopher

View attachment 1402
Thank you for this, I will print it out and make a template out of it. I would like to get Logos8 Baptist Gold but at the moment I have not got the money.

I use Logos as an ebook reader for copyrighted books that are free or cheap through Logos. It is a fancy Kindle app to me.

I use Sword Searcher for my serious Bible study. It would cost me a fortune to purchase the public domain books through Logos. And ... paying so much for the public domain books and some other marketing pitches leaves me feeling exploited. I do not like to mix my Bible study with that mess.

I am starting over with a fresh install of Windows AGAIN. I recently moved across the country and still am not settled, so ebooks are still my only option, I am installing and relearning and reevaluating software. At times I have not had a Windows computer and had to use other Bible study methods than Sword Searcher, but I always come back to it as soon as I need to choose a primary software package for Windows.

Logos always makes sure to give you way more of what you don't want, and not enough of what you do want. It is SOOO frustrating. And wastes my time and makes the software slow and fills up my hardrive.

I use Logos as an ebook reader for copyrighted books that are free or cheap through Logos. It is a fancy Kindle app to me.

I use Sword Searcher for my serious Bible study. It would cost me a fortune to purchase the public domain books through Logos. And ... paying so much for the public domain books and some other marketing pitches leaves me feeling exploited. I do not like to mix my Bible study with that mess.

I am starting over with a fresh install of Windows AGAIN. I recently moved across the country and still am not settled, so ebooks are still my only option, I am installing and relearning and reevaluating software. At times I have not had a Windows computer and had to use other Bible study methods than Sword Searcher, but I always come back to it as soon as I need to choose a primary software package for Windows.

Logos always makes sure to give you way more of what you don't want, and not enough of what you do want. It is SOOO frustrating. And wastes my time and makes the software slow and fills up my hardrive.
Thanks-that is a very good reply.

I have WordSearch Basic with a many resources that converted from QuickVerse 4. QV 4 was a great program BTW but no longer runs on Windows 10. I keep WordSearch for occasional use due to the resources. When Logos acquired WordSearch, I tried it. I completely removed it after about an hour.

Swordsearcher is the best in my opinion. It's fast, flexible, user friendly, bug free. I love to listen to the verse level audio and be able to take notes at the same time. Brandon listens to the users' feedback and always responds quickly.

Swordsearcher is the best in my opinion. It's fast, flexible, user friendly, bug free. I love to listen to the verse level audio and be able to take notes at the same time. Brandon listens to the users' feedback and always responds quickly.
Indeed, indeed, indeed....... AMEN ! ! ! !

Again, my main computer is not running Windows. Using Swordsearcher as my main software package is a no brainer, if life allowed me to stay on Windows; it does not.

I have been playing around with all my options again, including hardcopy books, and Logos. Logos ... sigh! Their aggressive secular marketing tactics used for Bible study software confuses me. I am not sure what my response should be and I feel like I am failing at maintaining what is expected of ME. And when I am no longer doing what I am supposed to be doing, THAT is a problem. What they do is between them and God, but what I do is what I will be held accountable for.

I lost my faith badly awhile back, and have slowly been getting it back. I have been through several stages of transition, that require a whole new set of decisions, including decisions about Bible study software.

I bookmarked this music video and play it when I get extra confused.
Danny Gokey - Love God Love People

I tell myself to keep this up That God wants more than just my love But I’ve been complicating things It’s just like me to overthink Gotta keep it real simple Keep it real simple Bring everything right back to ground zero ‘Cause it all comes down to this Love God and love people We’re living in a world that keeps breakin’ But if we want to find a way to change it It all comes down to this Love God and love people

Love God. Love People. Will I ever get back in college? What state will I be in next year? In 10 Years? Next month? Love God Love People. Keep it real simple.

Logos 9? At that price? That is a definite no! A black Friday sale? Maybe. I only have Logos 8 Fundamentals that I paid $50.00 for during a 50% off sales when they hid the fundamentals page, but I got in through a back door and was able to snag it for 50% off. I cannot find a Logos 9 Fundamentals for sale. Eventually there will be a free version of Logos 9, and probably a Fundamentals like I have for 8. For school it is painful for me not to have the literary features, but they only package the literary features with things that I don't need and cannot afford. I am not sure if what I need will be in the free version. What I need is super basic and when people have moved on to much bigger and shinier things, this basic feature might actually be included in the free basic e-reader.

I use Logos for my ACADEMIC and college studies, as an e-book reader. I have been unable to access its "power" because I am too poor to be able to afford access to their "power".

We’re living in a world that keeps breakin’ But if we want to find a way to change it It all comes down to this Love God and love people

Maybe I am not going back to college. I am not sure how much I am supposed to change course, in this "world that keeps breaking". For me, Logos is entwined with the academic world that some Christians have declined to participate in.

I am responsible for ME, and Christians have historically found it difficult to keep one foot in the academic "world" and their heart focused on the 2 commandments.

Matthew 22:37-40, “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Which software, if any will help ME best Love God and Love People? It is that simple. If I have faith. Slowly, I am regaining that faith. It was a wild ride getting back here.

Well If you can find LOGOS basic upgrade for free let me know!
The free Basic edition is still at edition 8. Only the paid versions have upgraded to 9. I read that new free versions typically upgrade after January. If we own a higher level in 8, the free Basic 9 upgrade will probably include SOMETHING we do not have. If I am lucky the basic things I need will be in the Basic. LOL. And if not, then I still won't have access to them, and I trust that I won't need them to complete my purpose here on earth.

Somebody bigger than Logos and the colleges and the United States government is in charge of what happens to me next. It's all taken care of long before I have any idea that I will arrive there.

Today, all sorts of blessings rained down upon me. It is harder NOT to have faith than to have it right now. I'm in a tough spot, but it is only in darkness that you can see the stars. Today I saw stars. I am blessed.

djmarko53, I use Logos mostly for one thing, and I don't upgrade for money. I just wait until they say you can get the dumbed-down, won't-do-much-but-it's-the-next-basic-version for free. And they say that they will stop supporting the lower version. Then I "upgrade." I've never had any problems with the dumbed-down versions of Logos doing what I need to do. What I use the most in Logos is the interlinears, Newberry's mostly, which is based on Stephanus' Greek text, which is very close to the Scrivener's text underlying the KJV. And I have some commentaries in Logos. Don't use them much, but every once in a while I do.

I had WORDSearch also, but hardly used it. I think I got it in order to get John Phillips' commentaries in digital form. His commentaries are worth reading.

As for SwordSearcher, there is rarely if ever a day I don't use it. Absolutely great software. It's my go-to. I often listen to Scourby via SwordSearcher and I love the verse-level syncing (I wish we could do our own recordings of, say, foreign language translations, and sync them for verse level reading.)

I have other Bible software packages as well (e.g., Accordance), but I use them far less than SwordSearcher. Brandon has helped me scores of times, and I often add to his work by sending in typos, feature requests, etc.

Your Logos 8 works and will continue to work for a very long time. It is awkward to use several pieces of software and multiple computers, but sometimes that is the most efficient method, not just the cheapest method.

When I have a working Windows computer, using SwordSearcher as the primary software works best for me. But I don't try and use it for everything. I just open up another piece of software to let it do what it does best, and then close it.

Any idea how long it takes for a module to show up for download? I uploaded a zip file containg a uset book and a subdirectory containing color bible charts. Did that this afternoon. About 5 MB in size with 30 color charts. Eventually it will have about 100 or more color charts. Have to convert them from .pdf format to .png format the insert each one into the book. Just wanted to see if anyone could check it out on their system to make sure it works ok.
Since I manually review them, the time it takes is not predictable.

You said something about verse level audio. Not sure exactly what you mean, but let me say
that I have Alexander Sourby's KJV Audio Bible on my Hard Drive. It is in it's own Subdirectory.a
There is an audio (.MP3) file for every chapter in the KJV Bible. They play perfectly with SwordSearcher!
I like how SwordSearcher "advances" the text in a Chapter allong with the audio as it is read by Scourby.
That is a good sweet feature! Don't recall WORDSearch 12.0 or my old LOGOS 8.0 doing that. Another
great reason to like (dare I say it: "Love") Sword Searcher!!
See https://www.swordsearcher.com/audio-bible.html and the help file here: https://www.swordsearcher.com/helpfiles/current/index.html?bible_audio_support.html

Audio is implemented under File/Configure audio Bibles. It's a great feature. There is probably a video tutorial available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back