Logos 8 v. SwordSearcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keight

Well If you can find LOGOS basic upgrade for free let me know!
The free Basic edition is still at edition 8. Only the paid versions have upgraded to 9. I read that new free versions typically upgrade after January. If we own a higher level in 8, the free Basic 9 upgrade will probably include SOMETHING we do not have. If I am lucky the basic things I need will be in the Basic. LOL. And if not, then I still won't have access to them, and I trust that I won't need them to complete my purpose here on earth.

Somebody bigger than Logos and the colleges and the United States government is in charge of what happens to me next. It's all taken care of long before I have any idea that I will arrive there.

Today, all sorts of blessings rained down upon me. It is harder NOT to have faith than to have it right now. I'm in a tough spot, but it is only in darkness that you can see the stars. Today I saw stars. I am blessed.

Eric

Beta Tester
djmarko53, I use Logos mostly for one thing, and I don't upgrade for money. I just wait until they say you can get the dumbed-down, won't-do-much-but-it's-the-next-basic-version for free. And they say that they will stop supporting the lower version. Then I "upgrade." I've never had any problems with the dumbed-down versions of Logos doing what I need to do. What I use the most in Logos is the interlinears, Newberry's mostly, which is based on Stephanus' Greek text, which is very close to the Scrivener's text underlying the KJV. And I have some commentaries in Logos. Don't use them much, but every once in a while I do.

I had WORDSearch also, but hardly used it. I think I got it in order to get John Phillips' commentaries in digital form. His commentaries are worth reading.

As for SwordSearcher, there is rarely if ever a day I don't use it. Absolutely great software. It's my go-to. I often listen to Scourby via SwordSearcher and I love the verse-level syncing (I wish we could do our own recordings of, say, foreign language translations, and sync them for verse level reading.)

I have other Bible software packages as well (e.g., Accordance), but I use them far less than SwordSearcher. Brandon has helped me scores of times, and I often add to his work by sending in typos, feature requests, etc.

djmarko53

The free Basic edition is still at edition 8. Only the paid versions have upgraded to 9. I read that new free versions typically upgrade after January. If we own a higher level in 8, the free Basic 9 upgrade will probably include SOMETHING we do not have. If I am lucky the basic things I need will be in the Basic. LOL. And if not, then I still won't have access to them, and I trust that I won't need them to complete my purpose here on earth.
Well thanks for that information about LOGOS. Kinda hit me the wrong way. Found out about my WORDSearch from the announcement that
popped up on the application on my Desktop. Naturally, I switched to the free LOGOS 8. They did give me a bunch of free books, most of them I cannot use, like the works of William Shakespeare and a ton of books written in Latin. Anyway I have some great commentary sets, so for now I will take my favorites copy them to WORD, do a little editing in WORD, then paste the info into SwordSearcher. One thing I have noticed is that SwordSearcher doesn't have Book Notes, Chapter Notes and Verse Notes like the Commentaries in e-Sword. So if I have those different types of notes for Acts Chapter Two, it all goes into the Commentary for Acts 2:1. If I am studying that Chapter, then I click on the button to display the whole chapter. Wish SwordSearcher had that feature, but guess it would require too much change in user modules, etc... So, my idea of putting all my info for Act Chapter Two into the Verse Note for Act 2:1 is better than trying to divide things up and put it into the various verses for Acts 2.

Anyway, when it's all said and done, SwordSearcher hold's it's own with the other big companies out there. Especially in the Search capabilities. I don't recall WORDSearch coming close to SwordSearcher in the Search Capabilities. One thing I would like to see is the ability to create User Books by importing and/or compiling .docx files created in WORD. This is something that LOGOS 8 & 9 can do. Even the modules for e-Sword are created from .RTF files. I'm just thinking of that in ways to make the Creation of User Books (Especially Commentaries) easier and more powerful. Or, if nothing else, how about the ability to import .PDF Files (Commentaries) into SwordSearcher? Who knows? Maybe by Version 10.xx or 11.xx of SwordSearcher, we might be able to do something like that. What about loading .PDF files into SwordSearcher and searching them for Scripture References? Doesn[t have to include the ability to edit .PDF files, just convert them to text which could be edited within SwordSearcher.

All in all, I am happy with SwordSearcher, more than I am (or was) with WORDSearch 12.0 and LOGOS 8.0. The only thing I miss are the books and Commentaries. With about 5,.000 books I have a lot of copying, pasting, editing, etc... but I can now put some of my books to better use now that I have SwordSearcher. My wife told me yesterday that her brother in Oklahoma used to live in Broken Arrow. Enough for now.....

Mark

djmarko53

djmarko53, I use Logos mostly for one thing, and I don't upgrade for money. I just wait until they say you can get the dumbed-down, won't-do-much-but-it's-the-next-basic-version for free. And they say that they will stop supporting the lower version. Then I "upgrade." I've never had any problems with the dumbed-down versions of Logos doing what I need to do. What I use the most in Logos is the interlinears, Newberry's mostly, which is based on Stephanus' Greek text, which is very close to the Scrivener's text underlying the KJV. And I have some commentaries in Logos. Don't use them much, but every once in a while I do.

I had WORDSearch also, but hardly used it. I think I got it in order to get John Phillips' commentaries in digital form. His commentaries are worth reading.

As for SwordSearcher, there is rarely if ever a day I don't use it. Absolutely great software. It's my go-to. I often listen to Scourby via SwordSearcher and I love the verse-level syncing (I wish we could do our own recordings of, say, foreign language translations, and sync them for verse level reading.)

I have other Bible software packages as well (e.g., Accordance), but I use them far less than SwordSearcher. Brandon has helped me scores of times, and I often add to his work by sending in typos, feature requests, etc.
Well Eric, I hear you on that about upgrading from the dumbed-down versions of LOGOS, but by going with SwordSearcher and it's better search capabilities, does that mean that I dumbed-up or smarted-up? After having SwordSearcher and learning it's capabilities and wonders, I feel like I certain got smart. Or maybe SwordSearcher makes me feel smarter because I am just having more fun in God's Word. And that cannot be a bad thing. Seems like I can now do more with God's Word, because SwordSearcher has made things so much smoother and easier when spending time in the word.

I am also so glad that SwordSearcher does a phenomenal job in playing my Alexander Scourby's KJV Audio Bible. Cannot wait to get my SwordSercher DVD. Amazon says it's in the mail. Supposed to be here yesterday. I cannot wait..... Kinda like the kid who can't wait for Santa to get here.......

Mark

Keight

Your Logos 8 works and will continue to work for a very long time. It is awkward to use several pieces of software and multiple computers, but sometimes that is the most efficient method, not just the cheapest method.

When I have a working Windows computer, using SwordSearcher as the primary software works best for me. But I don't try and use it for everything. I just open up another piece of software to let it do what it does best, and then close it.

djmarko53

Any idea how long it takes for a module to show up for download? I uploaded a zip file containg a uset book and a subdirectory containing color bible charts. Did that this afternoon. About 5 MB in size with 30 color charts. Eventually it will have about 100 or more color charts. Have to convert them from .pdf format to .png format the insert each one into the book. Just wanted to see if anyone could check it out on their system to make sure it works ok.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea how long it takes for a module to show up for download? I uploaded a zip file containg a uset book and a subdirectory containing color bible charts. Did that this afternoon. About 5 MB in size with 30 color charts. Eventually it will have about 100 or more color charts. Have to convert them from .pdf format to .png format the insert each one into the book. Just wanted to see if anyone could check it out on their system to make sure it works ok.
Since I manually review them, the time it takes is not predictable.

wsbones

Beta Tester
You said something about verse level audio. Not sure exactly what you mean, but let me say
that I have Alexander Sourby's KJV Audio Bible on my Hard Drive. It is in it's own Subdirectory.a
There is an audio (.MP3) file for every chapter in the KJV Bible. They play perfectly with SwordSearcher!
I like how SwordSearcher "advances" the text in a Chapter allong with the audio as it is read by Scourby.
That is a good sweet feature! Don't recall WORDSearch 12.0 or my old LOGOS 8.0 doing that. Another
great reason to like (dare I say it: "Love") Sword Searcher!!
See https://www.swordsearcher.com/audio-bible.html and the help file here: https://www.swordsearcher.com/helpfiles/current/index.html?bible_audio_support.html

Audio is implemented under File/Configure audio Bibles. It's a great feature. There is probably a video tutorial available.

Johnny NL

That makes sense. Pretty much what I try to do most of the time.
Finally got my SwordSearcher DVD today. Installed the Books and commentaries.
Now I'm set to do some serious bible studying....

mark
Indeeeeeed you are...
Prepare to be amazed....
Once everything is installed, if you search some topic, ALL TABS "in use" will light up like a christmas tree....
Try it out with one word, ... and follow the "Open Tabs"..... AMAZING what SS8 can do for you.
Make sure you have a pot of coffee ready though ! ! !
Be Blessed.

Johnny NL

See https://www.swordsearcher.com/audio-bible.html and the help file here: https://www.swordsearcher.com/helpfiles/current/index.html?bible_audio_support.html

Audio is implemented under File/Configure audio Bibles. It's a great feature. There is probably a video tutorial available.
That feature (Audio/Bible), was the "BEST" feature after the creation of SwordSearcher.
I use it everyday While I am studying, or just enjoying the WORD of GOD, Allllllllllll the time.

djmarko53

Well Johnny, at the moment, there is nothinv for me to worrying about configuring where the audio bible is concerned. The Scourby KJV Audio Bible works flawlessly so far with SwordSearcher. Almost like it is a part of the program and not some kind of external addon. Have to admit that that part of SwordSearcher is a grest feature! Nice

Mark

Last edited:

Dr Timothy

Cannot disagree with you on that. I have already decided to take some of my favorite WORDSearch
books and convert, copy, etc.... them into SwordSearcher. I like the Search features much better than
WORDSearch. That said, I have been a User of QuickVerse and WORDSearch for nearly 20 yrs. Started
out with QuickVerse when it was version 1.0 on Floppy Disks. When they started to get their act together,
they got purchased by Findex and things went downhill from there. Things improved significantly when
WORDSearch bought out Findex, but their ability to create UserBooks was always lacking. By the time I
built my library to about 3,000 books (Version 12) they got bought out by Faithlife(LOGOS) Now, must
admit that WORDSearch and LOGOS have (or had) a prettier "uncluttered" and/or streamlined initerface,
but I have been more impressed by the Search engine that is in SwordSearcher.

Soon as WORDSearch (Version 12) got bought out last month by FaithLife(LOGOS) I got Version 8.0 as a
free upgrade from LOGOS. Then what happened? Before I could say "GOD IS GREAT!" they came out with
Version 9.0 and offered an upgrade that would cost me an arm and a leg and the life of my first born son.
The minimum upgrade (LOGOS BASIC is over $250). The features I'd love to have nearly $800. Some deals
are well over $1,000. Like the man said "Nice, but no Cigar." I say, "No Way Jose!" Needless to say, SwordSearcher
started looking better and better. Especially the "PRICE in Dollars," and the "SMOOTH" and "POWERFUL"
Search Engine.

Gradually, as I get time, I will Copy and Paste some of my favorites in WORDSearch and LOGOS into SwordSearcher.
Then and only then, I will have the best of both worlds. To me, the only major thing I would like to see in SwordSearcher
is a "STRONG" Sermon Builder, kinda like the Sermon Builder in LOGOS 9. However, I am not willing to fork out over
$500 just to get that feature in an "over priced" package.

I am sitting here impatiently waiting the delivery of my SWORDSEARCHER 8.4 DVD by Amazon. Got $50 in Gift Cards
for AMAZON. Couldn't think of a better thing to spend it on right now, then SWORDSEARCHER! Just hope and pray
that Brandon will continue to create, upgrade and refine his program for at least the next 25 years. By then I will be in
a nursing home and probably won't care. But for now, let me say that WORDSearch and LOGOS look good on the outside
and do have some outstanding features. But just like in cars, it's what's under the hood that matters. For what I need to
do with Bible Studies and Sermon preparations, SwordSearcher has more horsepower when it comes to fast, easy and
efficient searches fo God's Inspired Word.

Mark Johns
Just wanted to agree about the WordSearch to LOGOS bait and switch game. Our ministry has a Distance Learning Bible College that suspended recruiting new students when WordSearch sold out to LOGOS because we provided new students with the Basic WordSearch (last one was v.12) included with registration - - that blew out the lights as we used many included resources as text/reference books. Was so elated when revisiting SwordSearcher (had not for some years - like since 2006). It looks like we will be able to again offer affordable tuition with books included as we have done since our beginning! Yay God is all I can say. This is an awesome program.

Dr Timothy

Well, almost finished with Hodge's Systematic Theology. Hope to post it either tonite or Wednesday morning. Logos just sent me another 25 free books. This weekend will check and see which ones are Public Domain. Might be something there I can use to create something for SwordSearcher. The one thing I dont get about Logos is they send me all those free books, but when WordSearch migrated to Logos, they gave me about 2,000 free books. Unfortunately, many of them are in Latin and if not in Latin they are something I dont need, like the works of Chaucer or Shakespeare. Thats what I love about SwordSearcher. I get what I need or can put to use. Praise the Lord for SwordSearcher!!! My prayer is Brandon can keep it going for many years to come.

Mark
We had over 1k books in our library, WordSearch was kind enough to agree to our members/students accessing the online library. Logos, not on my life! I don't know how many of the library consisted of PD but need to go through and determine. Looking for a basic introduction to theology to replace Exploring Theology (not PD) that we had through WordSearch. If you come across a good, single volume, fairly simple introduction to theology book please let me know. Bible Doctrines, Beliefs That Matter is good, but more advanced than looking for. Great Doctrines, we already use in our advance degree studies (course is a whopper). Well, thanks for your kindness. Let me know if you know of or come across one. Thanks.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
This thread has really drifted from its original topic, so I am going to close it. It's probably also a good idea to take discussions about personal meetups to private communications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.