FR: dedicated location for margin links pop-up

Eric

Beta Tester
Perhaps some discussion on this will show that no new feature is needed, but that rather I need to change something I'm doing. So here is my preliminary explanation and desire:

I use the margin links very frequently: almost always. The way SwordSearcher's margin links work, if there is only one reference to a given book or dictionary, clicking the margin link will open that book or dictionary immediately. However, if the book or dictionary mentions that verse more than once, a pop-up window appears from which the user selects which link to go to. Seems to me only rarely do my margin links not call up the pop-up panel (i.e., most of the time the verse is referred to in more than one book or dictionary).

What I do not like is that with my custom layout, the pop-up always comes up such that it covers a portion of the Bible panel (a portion of its right margin) and a portion of the adjoining Books and Dictionaries panel. I have to move the pop-up with the mouse every time it comes up, and that seems to me to be a waste of time.

Ideas: (1) Maybe there could be a dedicated user-definable location for the margin link pop-up, i.e., a setting whereby the user tells SwordSearcher where to put the pop-up each time. I've thought that perhaps for my use, moving my four panels such that there is a thin column in the center and leaving a narrow center column (maybe 2 inches) for the margin links might be useful. (Right now I have my Bible panel in the upper left with the Search Results panel under it. On the right at the top is the Books and Dictionaries panel and the Commentaries panel is below it. At the right of my screen I have 4-5 inch wide space with nothing which is where the panel appears if I am editing a user module. My screen is approximately 24 inches wide.)
(2) Maybe the pop-up could be done such that it "takes over" a portion of the Bible panel when activated – say at the bottom. Then it would be oriented horizontally rather than vertically, as it is now.

It's designed to pop up right next to the mouse pointer when it is invoked so that it will be easy to select items. Although it can't be docked, the popup stays where you move it until it's closed. I know it doesn't ideally fit with the way you want to use it, but if you just leave the popup open, it will stay where it is for the remainder of your session, with its contents updated every time you click a margin link. But, I understand this presents other difficulties, such as opening up space on your monitor outside of the SwordSearcher window where you can leave the popup so that it isn't obscuring anything else.

One possibility might be to have an option where the margin links for books actually uses the Verse Guide panel instead of a popup. The Verse Guide is already a dockable window that remembers its position between sessions and serves much the same purpose already. This of course would require some development and can't be done right now, but for me it would actually be a more efficient way to handle margin links.

It's designed to pop up right next to the mouse pointer when it is invoked so that it will be easy to select items. Although it can't be docked, the popup stays where you move it until it's closed. I know it doesn't ideally fit with the way you want to use it, but if you just leave the popup open, it will stay where it is for the remainder of your session, with its contents updated every time you click a margin link. But, I understand this presents other difficulties, such as opening up space on your monitor outside of the SwordSearcher window where you can leave the popup so that it isn't obscuring anything else.

One possibility might be to have an option where the margin links for books actually uses the Verse Guide panel instead of a popup. The Verse Guide is already a dockable window that remembers its position between sessions and serves much the same purpose already. This of course would require some development and can't be done right now, but for me it would actually be a more efficient way to handle margin links.
Thanks, Brandon. It makes sense for me to just leave the pop-up visible. I'll try that – perhaps between the two columns of panels. I am probably in a minority on this, but I don't use the Verse Guide much – once in a while. If the pop-up were integrated into the verse guide, I just wouldn't want it to seem as if the verse margin links were lost in the Verse Guide list…

I love all these convenient features in SwordSearcher! It's helped me grow so much more than if I was studying the Bible on my own. All these resources at my fingertips - click and find, another click and it's open in front of my face. It's just lovely!

SwordSearcher . . . the next best thing after the King James 1611 Bible. RIGHT before the wheel ! ! !

Brandon,
One thing I've noticed now that I'm leaving the pop-up visible, is that in those cases where the link I clicked has only one hit, the pop-up does not update. Makes sense, I guess, but it's strange that the pop-up has old data from a previous click in it, but I've moved on. Just FYI & FYC (for your consideration).

Back